Thursday, July 08, 2010

The Rise of the Poarch Band of Creek Indians

A couple years ago I became an accidental genealogist. I forgot to cancel my free 14-day subscription to Ancestry.com within the allotted time frame, so I decided to make use of it. I wasn't expecting too much because family history holds that we are Creek Indian and my grandfather's family originated in Alabama. My grandmother on the other hand, was not Indian, so I thought I would have an easier time tracing her roots. Boy was I wrong!

Lucky for me, the Bureau of Indian affairs did most of the work for me when they published a 130-page report on the history of my tribe. From there, it was a matter of collecting names and filling in the family tree. Looking back, I am so thankful that I forgot to cancel that trial membership, because I was able to trace our family back to the 1600's. As a result of proving our lineage, every member of my family now is now on the tribal rolls of the Poarch Band of Creek Indians.

Originally known as Muskogee (traditional spelling is Mvskoke), we are the only Indians who were not removed during Andrew Jackson's Indian Removal Act of the 1830's, and the majority of our tribe still live in Alabama to this day on the Poarch Creek Indian Reservation. I am traveling back there over the Thanksgiving holiday and although I have never been there before, I am excited to go "home". Who knows, I may find that living on our reservation in Alabama really does feel like home.

In my research, I met a man named Steve Travis who is one of the premiere Creek Indian researchers in the country. He also happens to be a very close relative of mine (if memory serves me correctly, Steve and I are second cousins). Steve helped a man named Lou Vickery to write a fantastic (based on all the reviews I've read) book called The Rise of The Poarch Band of Creek Indians. I have ordered a copy and am anxiously awaiting for it to arrive.

Here are a few of the somebodies in my family who dared to make a difference:

1790 - "Hysac, or The Woman's Man" and "Hopothle Mico, or the Talassee King of the Creeks" travel to New York to meet with George Washington

1790's - Alexander McGillivray received a special commendation from George Washington for his efforts as a liaison between the Creeks, Spaniards, and Colonists

Early 1800's - William Weatherford aka Red Eagle was a tribal leader and leader of the Red Sticks who were the warriors of the tribe. His exploits have become legendary, and he courageously surrendered face to face to Andrew Jackson saying, "General Jackson, I am not afraid of you. I fear no man, for I am a Creek warrior. I have nothing to request in behalf of myself; you can kill me, if you desire. But I came to beg you to send for the women and children of the war party, who are now starving in the woods. Their fields and cribs have been destroyed by your people, who have driven them in the woods without an ear of corn. I hope you will send out parties, who will safely conduct them here, in order that they be fed. I exerted myself in vain to prevent the massacre of women and children at Fort Mims. I am now done fighting. The Red Sticks are nearly all killed. If I could fight you any longer, I would most heartily do so. Send for the women and children. They never did you harm. But kill me, if the white people want it done."

Early 1800's - William McIntosh - signed many of the treaties in the early 1800's. Was a fierce warrior who was well respected by all who knew him and knew of him.

Early 1800's - William Colbert - Chickasaw Indian chief, was a native Alabamian and Revolutionary soldier, serving under Gen. Arthur St. Clair and leading his tribe against the hostile Indians, who operated with the British. In the War of 1812, he again led his tribe against the Creeks, pursuing them to Apalachicola, Fla., killing a number and bringing eighty-five prisoners back to Montgomery. He was, in 1816, the guest of the U. S. government at Washington, going there at the head of a Chickasaw delegation and being called "General" Colbert. He settled at Colbert's Ferry, on the Tennessee River, and the county laid off there was named in his honor.

1800's - Samuel Takkes-Hadjo Moniac - mentioned in many books about Creek Indian History and the father of David Moniac.

1800's - David Tate Moniac - The first Indian to be appointed to and graduate from West Point.

1800' - Lynn McGhee was a guide for General Andrew Jackson during the Creek War in 1813-1814.

1900's - Calvin McGhee, born 3/20/1903. He was Chief of the Creeks, and met with President John F. Kennedy in 1962 in the White House.

The men above are just a few of the many brave and noble people in my family tree. There are many whom I have left out, and for that, I apologize. For more information on the Creek Indians, Creek Indian Researcher is an amazing resource.

So it turns out that I come from a long line of somebodies. I am humbled to know that with every step I take, there are a countless steps behind me, and that I walk a path that is several hundred years in the making. I can only hope the path I choose brings honor to my family name. My hope is that the contributions I make during my lifetime are such that my name ends up on a future family member's list of somebodies.

Mvto (thank you),

Jody

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i really enjoyed your blog!
deb

Post a Comment